SAMPLE MUSIC

September 10, 2011

How to set up your budget home recording studio (part 2)

Home studio - will it work at my home?

Low budget home recording studio setup
So you've decided to build your own home studio and you think you could possibly set it up in your bedroom or even living room, but you're not sure if that will work or not! Well, as I've mentioned on my previous pageyou can build your own home recording studio quite cheaply these days, and as technology is developing, you can set it up (almost) anywhere you want. Let's find the best spot for your home studio!

The best location

You'll need to examine your home first and find the best spot for the studio, in one of your rooms, that is as far as possible from the outside sound sources.
Also, if possible, your room shouldn't be too close to the street (especially the busy one), and should be well away from your neighbors bedrooms (if you are a late bird like me).
In my case, a one particular area of my living room was the best place to set my studio up at. The wall behind my studio setup is a solid block wall, insulated and plastered on one side, that is separating mine and my neighbors living rooms. Below this area is another neighbor's hallway and above it is my spare bedroom, so it's was the perfect spot for me (and no complains so far)!
So, let say you've found the best spot at home for your studio and now you need a plan - how do you actually do it?

Plan - how do I do it?

Well, that's a very good question and to answer it, you'll first need to take a look at some of your existing circumstances. For the start, take a peace of paper and note the following questions:

1) what budget do I have?


2) what equipment do I already have?


3) what kind of set up should I build? 


4) what additional equipment will I need?


Now the answers:

1) The budget - this one you know, so the first one is answered.

2) What equipment do I already have? - If you are in the band and you are gigging regularly, you might already have some PA equipment, speakers, headphones, mixer, keyboards, microphones, cables, PC or laptop, sound and effect processors, instruments etc. Most of this equipment can be used for studio recording as well! Once you list all these items -  that and your budget will actually determine...


3) what kind of set up should I build? - This further opens another area that we'll need to explore a little before we can fully answer it, which is:

Digital or Analog setup?

We are living in the era of the digital world and as you can still go down the analog route if you want to, the digital recording setup is definitely the better way to go for in a budget home studios! As the digital technology is gone very far in the last couple of decades, the digital equipment became relatively cheap lately and so versatile that you can equip any home studio on a very, very tight budget - and best of all, you can achieve a professional results!
If you agree with me that this is the way to go, let's take a look at some of the available options to help you decide - what kind of setup is the best for you?

You can set up either computer based studio, or acquire one of these Digital Multitrack Recorders and once you make this decision, that will be your starting point you are going to base your recording studio setup about. If you, for example, already have a PC or laptop, you can than chose the first option, if not, than the second option might be better for you. I'm going to assume that you have a personal computer of some sort at home, so on the next page we are first going to take a deeper look at some of the computer based recording studio setup's.


No comments:

Post a Comment